Wednesday, August 26, 2015

People would use the NHS less if they knew the true price tags | The Secret Doctor

A survey shows people vastly underestimate NHS costs. If they understood the real expenditure, they might use the service more responsibly

I first learned about the value of equipment in my early years at A&E. A woman had a laceration to her hand and I was happily stitching away and moving on to the second pack of kit. A male nurse from Nigeria obligingly brought me what I needed but he politely commented on my liberal use. “Back home we have to make it last – we don’t have enough to waste.” That has stayed with me ever since.

Related: My wife’s £10,000 bill for cancer treatment makes me appreciate the NHS | Liam J Stratton

One of the first steps in saving the NHS has got to be increasing patient understanding of the price tag on treatments

Related: Doctors write 10m needless antibiotics prescriptions a year, says Nice

Continue reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment