Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Fed up with NHS waiting times? It’s even worse in the US | Mary O’Hara

The idea that private systems mean greater efficiency is simply unconvincing. I have pretty good US health insurance and yet the shortest waiting time to see my designated doctor has been five weeks – much worse than under the NHS

I have a lot of information about my primary care physician (GP to British readers). Because the private insurance company publishes it, I’m aware of what university she attended, what degrees she has and I even know her hobbies. But we’ve never actually met.

There have been many trips to see the doctor over the past year that I have lived in Los Angeles, but I’ve never managed to get an appointment with the US equivalent of my GP when I needed it, instead being directed to the equivalent of a locum. The shortest waiting time offered to see my designated doctor was five weeks. Otherwise it’s been over two months. And that’s after I’ve forked out hundreds of dollars every month in insurance premiums – plus up-front cash fees equivalent to £20 and £35 for each visit and referral.

Related: More than one in 10 people in England could not get GP or nurse appointment

In the city of Boston it took on average 66 days – more than two months – to get an appointment to see a family doctor

Continue reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment