Monday, April 27, 2015

I’ve completed one marathon effort – now for the electoral race | Dan Jarvis

By taking part in the London Marathon I was able to raise precious money for Cancer Research UK. By campaigning for a Labour government I hope to safeguard our NHS

“How can you run the London Marathon while also running for re-election?” That’s the question people have put to me over recent weeks. “How on earth have you managed to fit in all the training with campaigning?” The short answer is I haven’t. People often talk about the loneliness of the long distance runner. But I wouldn’t know. My marathon preparation – pounding pavements with Labour activists on the general election campaign trail – has been anything but lonely.

I managed to carve out time for three decent training runs around Barnsley, but otherwise I had to make do with some gentle jogging in between doorsteps. It left me just hoping I’d make it round the course OK rather getting anywhere near my personal best. “Oh you’ll be fine,” people said. “You used to be in the army.” All I could do is smile, knowing that my military training would only get me so far.

I finished in 3 hours and 44 minutes – behind my Dad, who is turning 71 this year and skipped round two minutes quicker

Related: The London Marathon: so much more than a race

Continue reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment