Friday, February 27, 2015

I’m worried that my teenage daughter has an eating disorder

She denies she has a problem, but she has lost a dramatic amount of weight and seems obsessed with food and cookery programmes. What can I do? Annalisa Barbieri gives her advice

Over the past year, my teenage daughter has lost a dramatic amount of weight. She smiles and says she doesn’t have any problems and dismisses any concern that I (or others) express over her weight loss. She has become obsessed by food and cookery programmes and gives us the impression of eating more than she obviously does.

I had postnatal depression after her birth, followed by miscarriages, so she did not get a good start. When she was younger, my husband and I realised she was (understandably) very insecure and focused a lot of attention on her over a couple of years, and she became more secure, despite difficult class groups in school (I don’t think she was bullied directly, but she certainly suffered indirectly). Things seemed better when she went to secondary school, since when she has always had a good group of friends around her. She is bright and artistic – from the outside everything is perfect, except she is becoming skin and bone.

Continue reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment