Thursday, July 30, 2015

Autism in the workplace: 'Always thought you were a bit weird'

A late diagnosis of autism meant I struggled with the alien codes of small talk and office politics – until I started work at an autism charity

I was sitting in a doctor’s office, describing yet again how a day at work could be hell. I told him why sharing the same space, listening to my colleagues’ music/small talk/breathing drove me mad and why someone saying “good morning” could feel like a personal invasion. The doctor was new, young; he gave a nod of recognition and then he said something strange: “I think you may be autistic”.

He referred me to a psychiatrist who concurred: “Autism. 98% sure.” I did the requisite tests which confirmed the other 2%. No worries, the Australian psychiatrist assured me. “You’re one lucky bastard, Susan. You don’t have to fit in with anyone.”

Related: I'm autistic. When you assess my needs, this is what you must know

Related: 'After what I've been through, don't tell me I'm not autistic'

Continue reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment