Sunday, June 28, 2015

As a music therapist I can give people back the power to communicate

Regular sessions can help reduce anxiety among people with mental health conditions such as depression and dementia

On a weekday, it’s normally an early start; responding to urgent emails before heading to my office at the music therapy research centre in Cambridge where I hold several roles as lecturer, researcher, supervisor, and passionate advocate for music therapy.

I practised as a full-time music therapist for 20 years, mainly in the field of adult mental health as part of a large NHS mental health trust. It was during this period that I began to combine my clinical role with supporting the development of the profession. Along with another colleague, we developed a new MA course at Anglia Ruskin. This course became the first masters course in music therapy in the UK. I continued to work as a music therapist and today, we have our own new state of the art music therapy centre at Anglia Ruskin, where we not only train students, but also deliver clinical work with local children and adults, as well as lead a pioneering research department.

Continue reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment