Friday, March 27, 2015

As a cancer researcher I ask whether a new drug may prolong life

The direct impact of cancer research isn’t just about performing an experiment, it can also be about using scientific knowledge to inspire people

My journey to a career in cancer research started at a small school in the far north-west corner of the US. It was in my introduction to biology class where I discovered my love for experimental biology. Using cotton buds and agar plates, I swabbed fruit for bacteria before and after rinsing with water to determine if this would impact on its cleanliness (turns out it does, so don’t forget to wash!). I did a graduate degree in biomedical sciences where I solidified my passion for investigating the genetics of human cancer. I am now part of a research team at the Institute of Cancer Research whose ultimate goal is to introduce new treatments, specifically into the paediatric clinic, to help children suffering from cancer.

One of my main focuses is addressing questions such as how tumour cells arise and how they spread throughout the body. I then aim to exploit this information to discover ways to defeat these cancer cells. To accomplish this, I need to develop and maintain a variety of partnerships. My days therefore frequently contain meetings with members of my direct team, scientific collaborators, clinicians or pharmaceutical companies from all over the world. These meetings serve to discuss which systems to use with which novel drugs to determine if these new compounds have the ability to overcome cancer. It is my job to then work with my team members to design, execute, and analyse the data from these experiments. The aim is to provide sufficient data to support the entry of a new drug into the clinical setting.

Related: Clinical psychologist: I learn from my clients about what it is to be human

Continue reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment